Closing cases is important so that we have accurate records of our successes, failures and other cases.
For purposes of this SOP:
- Dispatching rats is defined as dispatch telling them to go. It does not require them to be !assigned to a case in Mecha
- A successful Fuel Rescue is defined as following SOP, including debrief and ensuring the client can reach a scoopable star or station, except as noted below
- A successful non-Fuel Rescue is generally defined as jumponium or repair cases in which the client can continue on their previous activities.
Cases that should always be filed as Valid Cases
- If Rats are dispatched, Fuel or Non-Fuel Rescues (e.g. Jumponium or Emergency-repairs) should always be filed as valid cases.
- If a client is fueled or otherwise provided with jumponium or repairs (i.e. Rescued) by Rat(s) file the case as a "Success".
- When a rescue does not occur because the client was able to rescue themselves (i.e. make it to a station, star, etc.), changed their mind, or became unresponsive, after Rats are dispatched, the case should be filed as "Other".
- If the client is destroyed due to a lack of fuel, after Rats are dispatched, the case should be filed as a "Failure".
- If the client is destroyed due to NPCs or player attacks, after Rats are dispatched and before a limpet or rescue is completed, the case should be filed as "Other".
- If the client is destroyed due to NPCs or players, after Rats are dispatched but after a limpet or rescue is completed, the case should be filed as "Success".
Cases that can be marked for deletion
Generally, cases where Rat(s) have not been dispatched can be marked for deletion using the command !md <case# or clientname> <reason> (see below for other related commands).
- PEBKAC - When a rat or other visitor mistakenly raises a ratsignal, or improperly uses the !inject or !grab commands.
- Duplicates - More than one case from the same client, usually caused by reconnecting using the IRC client in rescue mode, after the rescue has been cleared.
- Clients who change their mind (such as make it to a station or scoopable star, reboot/repair or otherwise save themselves even with help from us) - before we dispatch rats to their case. If rats have been dispatched, it is a valid case (see above).
- Clients who immediately leave chat - Clients that start a rescue, but do not respond to our communications, or immediately leave IRC.
- Clients who have pushed the wrong button - i.e, their intent was just to chat with us, but they did not understand the green button, or want to see how the system works.
Cases that should NOT be deleted
Cases where Rat(s) have been dispatched should be filed and assigned a rescue outcome:
- Cases where the client changes their mind either because they choose to self-destruct, or find a way to carry on their journey (Either through tips from the Rats or on their own). Clear case and file as "Other"
Fake Calls - Calls which are intentionally created for purposes other than a legitimate need for fuel. ALWAYS clear case and file as "Invalid", and then report the event to a Janitor. These cases get filed regardless if Rats were dispatched or not.
Cat calls - Fake cases in an attempt to lure us out for target practice.
- Troll calls - Cases where a user intentionally creates a case for purposes other than requiring fuel. Typically these reasons include: personal amusement, attention, attempting to troll the dispatcher, or to generally disrupt the rescue channel.
|!md <case#/clientname> <reason>||Marks a case for deletion. Usable by any Rat.|
|!delete <caseID>||Confirms that a case should be deleted from the database. NOT REVERTABLE. Use with care. Overseers+|
|!mdremove <caseID>||Removes a case from the Marked for Deletion list, returning it to the case pool, but not reopening it on the board. This means that paperwork will need to be filed for it. Overseers+|
|!mdlist||Lists cases marked for deletion. Overseers+|
|!invalid <caseID>||Marks an already closed case as "Invalid", this also removes it from Marked-for-deletion-list if applied. Usable by any Rat.|