It appears you are looking to join The Fuel Rats. (Yay!)
We are glad that you are interested in joining our ranks. A Rat’s life full of excitement, narrow rescues, happy clients, zooming fuel limpets, other rats cursing on instancing, a lot of general squeaking and adrenaline awaits you!
Well we have a six-step process for you to join us. Follow all the steps below and you soon™ will be at maximum awesome and able to go and rescue commanders from the vastness of space with all the class and style of a glorious Fuel Rat.
Welcome to the Mischief!
"Questions are like fuel limpets. They're useless if you keep them for yourself" - CMDR Lain Steiner (Feb 3304)
Step 1 - Register
It takes a special kind of CMDR to want to be a Fuel Rat. Fuel Rats fight against the galaxy’s greatest foes: Time, instancing, distance, and the countdown as a clients life-support depletes.
We need CMDRs who are enthusiastic, disciplined, and willing to go way above and beyond the normal call of duty.
If we can in any way possible save a client, we will.
Because of both U.S. and EU law requirements we're not allowed to register members under the age of 13 years - If you don't meet the age requirement we must ask you to wait with signup until you do.
If you’re our kind of CMDR, we’ll welcome your assistance.
Before you sign up, think about whether you’re willing to:
- Cooperate as part of a team, to do great things
- Lead when leadership is needed
- Follow when following is the right thing to do
- Do whatever it takes to rescue clients
- Generally be a cheerful, funny, helpful Fuelrat.
- Fuelrats are strictly non-PVP while on rescues.
If you haven't already made an account, click here: Sign up and get your name on our roster
CMDR Name Changes or New CMDRs
If you change your CMDR name or gamertag, or setup another account to play on, do NOT register again. Go to our Service Desk to request a CMDR name change or additional CMDR to be added to your account. http://t.fuelr.at/help
Step 2 - Setup IRC
All our rescues are carried out on our IRC channels.
#FuelRats channel is for rescue operations only. This is where you will be performing rescues, and communicating with the dispatcher.
#RatChat channel is our casual (but still ratty) chat. This is where you will find everyone relaxing and hanging out.
(Be aware #ratchat is sometimes used as a "backroom" to #fuelrats, and some rescue related chatter can bleed into it. It's best to leave those who are partaking in this kind of talk alone, unless you're directly involved yourself.)
Join our IRC channels via our website or via an IRC client. CLICK HERE (Yes, this link is important)
- Our primary IRC channels are #ratchat and #fuelrats. You can access them by typing /join #ratchat and /join #fuelrats.
- Be sure to regularly check the channel topic in #ratchat for important information. This can be accessed by typing /topic.
Joining our IRC channels also requires you to comply with our Terms of Service and Code of Conduct.
Step 3 - Outfit Your Ship
Step 4 - Learn the SOP
We have gathered a lot of knowledge over time and have a bank of knowledge we would like to impart to you. Please read the pages carefully.
We recommend that each new rat to go through a drill (regardless of experience with the game) so that we can ensure that your can go out there and save our clients with minimal effort, risk to life and while being the bad ass we all know you can be!
Here are some links that give you all the information you will need about The Fuel Rats.
Step 5 (optional) - Connect With Us On Social Media and Be Alerted
Step 6 - Get drilled / demonstrate Your Knowledge
Drills are not mandatory but they are highly advised. Each dispatcher chooses whether or to send an un-drilled Rat on a rescue and can decline to dispatch you to the client. Not to mention that if you get it wrong we may have to say "we told you so".
Once you feel ready for it (read the website information and at least watch a couple of live rescues go on, so you have a good idea of the procedure and reporting) - then file a drill request using the link below. What to expect on your drill?
To file a request for a drill:
- Create an account HERE (Note - this needs a separate account from your normal Fuel Rat's website account)
- File a drill request HERE
- You won't receive an acknowledgement that your drill is scheduled. It's still up to you to find an Overseer in IRC to organize your drill.
- If a link to request a drill doesn't appear via the link above, just type "drill" in the search box, and select the appropriate type of drill that you're looking for.
- This is our general Service Desk which can also be used for issues with the API, BOTs, and pretty much anything. Save the link and your account information!
Certain old greybeard rats are designated OVERSEERS - one of these fantastic mythical beings will setup your drill and be in charge of your Fuelrat education until you are pure awesome-sauce™.
You can ask around if one is available, or wait til they spot you. It also helps to add [ND] or [Needsdrill] to your IRCnick followed by your platform (i.e. yourname[ND|PC] (with the command /nick yourname[ND|PC] for example).
A list of overseers can also be found at People Who Do Stuff
This unofficial training can be especially useful for Ratlings before their drill, but in no way should make them feel pressured to complete their drill before they're ready. As always, this training is 100% optional and voluntary. This training is not required in order to rat or dispatch.